South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa on Thursday said that at least 10 persons have been killed, two of them foreigners, in a wave of riots and attacks.
The president said this in a televised address in Johannesburg.
“Over the past few days, our country has been deeply traumatised and troubled by acts of violence and criminality directed against foreign nationals and our own citizens,” Mr Ramaphosa said.
“People have lost their lives, families have been traumatised … We know that at least 10 people have been killed in the violence. Two of whom were foreign nationals.”
South African police arrested more than 80 people and confirmed five deaths as riots in Johannesburg and the capital Pretoria intensified on Tuesday, spreading to surrounding townships with roving groups attacking mainly foreign-owned shops.
The latest wave of unrest in South Africa has raised fears of a recurrence of violence aimed at foreigners in 2015 in which at least seven people were killed.
Before that, some 60 people were killed in a wave of unrest around the country in 2008.
Police have yet to pinpoint what triggered the violence, which began on Sunday when protesters armed with makeshift weapons roamed the streets of Pretoria’s business district pelting shops with rocks and petrol bombs and running off with goods.
High unemployment and widespread poverty have been cited as possible triggers for the recent disturbances and attacks on immigrants, but some officials say the riots might be the work of criminal syndicates.
“We can’t rule out pure criminality of criminals using a sensitive situation where there are real grievances on issues of unemployment and foreign nationals,” police minister Bheki Cele said.
Mr Cele confirmed five people had been killed in the three days of rioting, but did not give further details on the circumstances or on arrests.
The Premier of Gauteng province, David Makhura, said during an inspection of the damage in Alexandra that there was a “xenophobic sentiment” underlying the attacks.
Mr Ramaphosa condemned the violence, saying in a video posted on Twitter that “attacking businesses run by foreign nationals is totally unacceptable”.
Immigration to South Africa from across the continent and from parts of southeast Asia picked up in the early 1990s, spurred by the end of apartheid rule and the economic boom that followed.
On Wednesday, UN Secretary-General António Guterres “strongly condemned” the renewed wave of “acts of violence” against foreigners and their property in parts of South Africa.
“We strongly condemn the acts of violence that have been reported in different provinces in South Africa, including attacks against foreigners and the destruction of their property.
“He has also noted Ramaphosa’s call for strengthening accountability in line with democratic values enshrined in South Africa’s constitution.
“The Secretary-General urges all political leaders to clearly and openly reject the use of violence,” he said.
Indonesia Deports 36 Igbo Boys After Prophet Odumeje’s Crusade
Not less than thirty six (36) Nigerians who are of Igbo extraction have been reportedly deported from Indonesia after controversial Onitsha-based clergyman, Prophet Chukwuemeka Odumeje recently visited and held a crusade in the country.
The church program was reportedly organized by some Nigerians living in Jakarta and it allegedly began with spraying of money which is said to be part of the Anambra-based Pastor’s style of ministration.
Post Views: 48 Not less than thirty six (36) Nigerians who are of Igbo extraction have been reportedly deported from Indonesia after controversial Onitsha-based clergyman, Prophet Chukwuemeka Odumeje recently visited and held a crusade in the country. The church program was reportedly organized by some Nigerians living in Jakarta and it allegedly began with spraying of money which is said to be part of the Anambra-based Pastor’s style of ministration. READ ALSO: Xenophobia: “I Will Bring Down South Africa”, Weird Nigerian Prophet Vows [VIDEO] In their usual practise, Odumeje and his disciples turned the crusade ground into a money spraying festival. Their flamboyant display of wealth however caught the attention of the authorities who raided the venue and reportedly arrested some persons, and subsequently deported about 36 of them who were domiciled in the country illegally. More to follow…
HOW ISIS LEADER DIED DURING US RAID
President Donald Trump on Sunday said that elusive Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi was killed, dying “like a dog,” in a daring, nighttime raid by US special forces deep in northwest Syria.
Trump told the nation in a televised address from the White House that US forces killed a “large number” of Islamic State militants during the raid which culminated in cornering Baghdadi in a tunnel, where he set off a suicide vest.
“He ignited his vest, killing himself,” Trump said.
“He died after running into a dead end tunnel, whimpering and crying and screaming all the way,” Trump said, adding that three of Baghdadi’s children also died in the blast.
Trump said that the raid — which required flying more than an hour by helicopter in both directions from an undisclosed base — had been accomplished by help from Russia, Syria, Turkey and Iraq.
Special forces “executed a dangerous and daring nighttime raid in northwestern Syria and accomplished their mission in grand style.”
At its height, Islamic State-controlled swaths of Iraq and Syria in a self-declared state known as a caliphate, characterized by the brutal imposition of a puritanical version of Islam.
In addition to oppressing the people it governed, Islamic State planned or inspired terrorism attacks across Europe, while using expertise in social media to lure large numbers of foreign volunteers.
It took years of war, in which Islamic State became notorious for mass executions and sickening hostage murders, before the caliphate’s final slice of territory in Syria was seized this March.
The death of Baghdadi comes as a big boost for Trump, whose abrupt decision to withdraw a small but effective deployment of US forces from Syria caused fears that it would give Islamic State remnants and sleeper cells a chance to regroup.
Trump took a storm of criticism, including from his own usually loyal Republican Party.
In keeping with his liking for showmanship, Trump had teased the news late Saturday with an enigmatic tweet saying merely that “Something very big has just happened!”
A war monitor said US helicopters dropped forces in an area of Syria’s Idlib province where “groups linked to the Islamic State group” were present.
The helicopters targeted a home and a car outside the village of Barisha in Idlib province, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which is based in Britain but relies on a network of sources inside Syria for its information
The operation killed nine people including an IS senior leader called Abu Yamaan as well as a child and two women, it said.
An AFP correspondent outside Barisha saw a minibus scorched to cinders by the side of the road, and windows shattered in a neighbour’s house surrounded by red agricultural land dotted with olive trees.
A resident in the area who gave his name as Abdel Hameed said he rushed to the place of the attack after he heard helicopters, gunfire and strikes in the night.
“The home had collapsed and next to it there was a destroyed tent and vehicle. There were two people killed inside” the car, he said.
From the outskirts of Barisha, an inhabitant of a camp for the displaced also heard helicopters followed by what he described as US-led coalition air strikes.
They “were flying very low, causing great panic among the people,” Ahmed Hassawi told AFP by phone.
Another resident, who gave his name as Abu Ahmad and lives less than 100 meters away from the site of the destroyed house, said he heard voices “speaking a foreign language” during the raid.
The area of the night-time operation had been cordoned off by Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, a group dominated by members of Syria’s former Al-Qaeda affiliate controlling Idlib.
Between the trees, bulldozers could be seen at the site, clearing out the rubble.
– ‘Joint Intelligence’
Turkey, which has been waging an offensive against the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in northeast Syria in recent weeks, had “advance knowledge” about the raid, a senior Turkish official said.
“To the best of my knowledge, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi arrived at this location 48 hours prior to the raid,” the official told AFP.
The commander-in-chief of the SDF, who have been fighting IS in Syria, said the operation came after “joint intelligence work” with American forces.
Trump also said that Iraq had been “very good” over the raid.
He said no US soldiers were wounded, despite “doing a lot of shooting” and “a lot of blasting.” The only US casualty was a military dog in the tunnel with the trapped Islamic State leader.
Long pursued by the US-led coalition against IS, Baghdadi has been erroneously reported dead several times in recent years.$25 million reward
Baghdadi — an Iraqi native believed to be around 48 years old — was rarely seen.
After 2014 he disappeared from sight, only surfacing in a video in April with a wiry grey and red beard and an assault rifle at his side, as he encouraged followers to “take revenge” after the group’s territorial defeat.
His reappearance was seen as a reassertion of his leadership of a group that — despite its March defeat — has spread from the Middle East to Asia and Africa and claimed several deadly attacks in Europe.
The US State Department had posted a $25 million reward for information on his whereabouts.
In September, the group released an audio message said to be from Baghdadi praising the operations of IS affiliates in other regions.
It also called on scattered IS fighters to regroup and try to free thousands of their comrades held in jails and camps by the SDF in northeastern Syria.
Under U.S Law, IPOB NOT a terrorist group – USA
The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) is not viewed as a terrorist organization by the United States.
A spokesman for the US Embassy in Nigeria, Russell Brooks made this known to PUNCH news.
He said, “The United States Government is strongly committed to Nigeria’s unity. Important political and economic issues affecting the Nigerian people, such as the allocation of resources, are worthwhile topics for respectful debate in a democracy.
- Coronavirus: ‘Married men I sleep with for money are not picking my calls because they’re home with their wives’ – Nigerian single mother cries out (video)
- Katsina State Government lifts suspension on congregational prayers
- Nigeria’s Greatest Number 7 Since 1960!
- Fury Trolls Joshua, Wilder For Heavyweight Losses
- COVID-19: Lagos State records third coronavirus death
Politics3 days ago
Elizabeth Oyeniyi: Gov. Yahaya Bello under fire over alleged rape of Kogi beauty queen by commissioner, Danga
Entertainment6 days ago
‘I have never had 30 billion’ – Davido confesses
Entertainment7 days ago
Nigerian doctor dies of Lassa Fever, few months to the end of his housemanship
Entertainment5 days ago
COVID-19: FG reveals date to end Lockdown
Entertainment6 days ago
‘I’m struggling. Nobody is supporting me’ – Princess Shyngle cries as she reveals she’s pregnant for her jailed fiance
Sports6 days ago
Coronavirus: Atletico Madrid Players Agree To 70% Pay Cut
Entertainment7 days ago
Teni shares a throwback video from one of the best days of her life
Entertainment7 days ago
Mercy Johnson shows off her baby bump in adorable new photo